Some American states boast an architectural style that is widely associated with them; California, for instance, is recognized for craftsman-style homes while New Mexico is well-known for its Pueblo-style homes. Meanwhile, Maine is widely known for homes of Federal architectural style. An article in Historicnewengland.org discusses the usual elements of this particular style.
- Two-story, rectangular construction
- Side gable or low-hipped roofs
- Raised foundations
- Semi-circular or elliptical fanlights over front entry
- Elaborate door surrounds with decorative crowns or small entry porches (often elliptical or semicircular)
- Cornice emphasized with decorative molding (usually modillions – refined dentils)
- Double-hung sash windows (six over six) sash separated by thin wooden muntins
- Windows arranged in symmetrical rows, usually five-ranked (less commonly three or seven)
- Northern preference for wood frame, clapboard siding; southern examples used brick construction
- Louvered shutters
The design of double-hung windows may be intimidating at first, since it consist of two sashes within a single frame. However, these windows are actually easy to operate since all homeowners need to do is slide the sashes up or down when they want to let a cool breeze in. Aside from their easy operation, double-hung windows in Maine offer homeowners other benefits too; the first of these is versatility. Aside from Federal-style homes, these windows actually go well with other architectural styles too.
For one, homeowners need not go outside to clean their double-hung windows, as they can easily rotate them from the inside and wipe them clean; another benefit is that these windows can be made from a variety of durable materials. However, if homeowners wish to go for double-hung windows in a wide range of color and design options, it’s recommended they go for window replacement specialists that offer Andersen windows in Maine. Andersen double-hung windows are not only stylish, they are also equipped with durable Fibrex frames and energy-efficient glass, providing homeowners a chance to maximize the benefits of a window replacement.
Window styles don’t just matter in the aesthetic sense. They also matter in terms of functionality and energy efficiency. Fortunately, double-hung windows offer all these advantages. To get the most out of them, homeowners need to rely on trustworthy window replacement companies like Renewal by Andersen of Maine.
(Article Excerpt and Image from Architectural Style Guide, Historicnewengland.org)